Friday, June 25, 2010

Final 16 predictions...

What an awesome World Cup it has been so far. A few highlights and surprises so far...the complete implosion by Le Bleu, Italy coming to the World Cup and then forgetting they actually have to win a game or two, every USA game, Germany losing to Serbia, North Korea getting stomped by Portugal, Drogba playing after breaking his arm a week before, Slovakia (and Japan and South Korea) making it out of the group stage, England barely getting through, letting neanderthals play...lots of good stuff.  We are now done with the group stage and on to the really exciting stuff...the knockout stage.  Here are my bold predictions...

Uruguay v South Korea:  Uruguay has been playing very well and I think they will beat South Korea.  South Korea has had a great run but it will end tomorrow morning.

USA!USA!USA! v Ghana:  Every USA!USA!USA! game has nearly given me a heart attack.  I think they have the confidence from their amazing win over Algeria and will beat the Black Stars.  Side note, I really like Dempsey but please never do this again.



Germany v England:  England has not looked very good this tournament and I believe it will end at this game. Yes, Germany lost to Serbia but I think they have put the pieces together and will pull this out 2-1.  That being said, here is what my English friend made as a prediction.

'Thanks for the support stefan 2-1 dont think so mate. This world cups starting to remind me of ww2, the french have surrendred, the yanks have left it till the last minuite to get involved, the canadians didnt even rock up, and guess whos left to take down the germans again.. Gud luck against ghana tho mate, shud just do them I reckon.'


Argentina v Mexico:  I am still convinced that Maradona is going to sabotage this team at some point but so far they have looked really good.  Mexico has also played much better than I thought but I think Argentina is just too good.

Netherlands v Slovakia: This is kind of a tricky one because the Netherlands have really just cruised through this so far.  They have been playing very casually and almost nonchalantly.  It will be interesting to see how they respond in a do or die situation.  I don't think Slovakia is that great or anything but they could be a test for the Dutch.

Brazil v Chile: This sucks for Chile.  Brazil is playing really well.  Their game this morning again Portugal was pretty boring and frustrating because they didn't really seem to care too much if they scored a goal, they were content with a tie.  Brazil's defense is looking good, like really good.  They are no longer just pure offense, they are a tough team to score against now.  Brazil wins.

Spain v Portugal: This is another great game that could be very exciting.  Portugal has played really well and Spain has played below my expectations.  I still think Spain will win but it could come down to the end.  Every time I see Ronaldo play I become more of a fan.  Yeah he is a total pretty boy but the stuff he can do with the soccer ball is amazing.  His dribbling skills are off the charts, he does so many ridiculously hard moves very nonchalantly.



It has been a fun World Cup so far and I can't wait to see the rest.

No comments: