Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rango


Last weekend I saw Rango and have been meaning to write a review for a couple of days.

Rango is a very unique computer animated film.  It follows a story unlike any other film of that genre and has many characters that are firsts.  The characters have depth and the film moves at a good pace.  While the film has many of the kinds of jokes one would expect from a PG movie it also has some very grown up moments and dialogue.  Characters get shot, there is a suicide attempt, subtle homo-erotica and multiple existential moments that are pretty trippy.  At multiple points during the film I could feel parents thinking to themselves, "maybe I shouldn't have taken my 6 year old to this."  Now this is not to say that the film was bad, quite the contrary, I loved it, but I do think that it has been falsely advertised as a goofy kids movie.  I am pretty surprised it is not rate PG-13.

The look and style of the characters were so visually interesting, there was always some new detail to take in about each animal.  It is amazing what how the animators were able to make different animals appear in a very human like form.  The animation overall was extremely realistic and stunning.  The dialogue was very clever with many jokes that were definitely just for adults.

Rango, go see it! But leave your little brother or sister behind.

No comments: