Thursday, December 29, 2016

Nathan's top 10

Posting for my brother...

10. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo - I remember when it came out that it felt poorly put together.  There were portions that I loved but it seemed like an incomplete thought or the work of someone beginning to lose their focus/mind.  Prophetic.

9. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love! - If this had come out longer it would likely go up my list.  Creatively it is off the charts.  I just need more time with it.

8. Polica - United Crushers - These guys are an acquired taste but I dig em.  This album became a constant for me on my weekly drives to Portland.  Good road tripping tunes.

7. De La Soul - Anonymous Nobody - I used to love them but over the years stopped really hearing them.  This album was a beautiful mixture of influences, guests and message about the need for quality music.

6. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here...Thank You Very Much - Another older group that came back at the right time with the right sound.  They were perhaps the best group ever...

5. Coloring Book - Chance the Rapper - Most sincerely joyfull hip hop album since De La Soul's "3 Feet High and Rising."  Was a perfect summer record.

3-4. Weeknd - Starboy and Frank Ocean - Blonde - These two are interchangeable in order.  Both flip around the concept of R&B with varying tempos and moods.

2. (tie) Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth and Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool - Simpson album could have been my favorite of the year.  Radiohead also put out a consistently excellent album from top to bottom.

1. Run the Jewels - RTJ#3 - Absolute banger and will hold up as astute, powerful, soulful, mindful and exceptionally well crafted.

No comments: