Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Guest Blog!

Danny's little brother, James, is currently in Hong Kong (I don't think that place really exists) and has sent theSSHH his 2010 Top 10 albums.  If you would like to read about Jame's conquests in Hong Kong check out his blog.  His blog is about his conquests right? If not, I'm not reading it.  Hong Kong Blog. Without further ado...

10. Gorillaz, The Plastic Beach

For a band that doesn’t exist outside of super-scary-in-a-rape-you-kinda-way-loony-toon-land, Gorillaz make really good music. Actually, they make good music in general, regardless of where they exist. The Plastic Beach handed down some unmistakable Gorillaz style sounds, along with enough artistic growth (and by that I mean some really confounding instrumental choices), that the album fell into that magical space of expected, yet enjoyably unpredictable. Like a Girls Gone Wild video. Except not a waste of money. And instead of being riddled with herpes, it was riddled with catchy melodies. Also Snoop Dog was in it.

9. The Black Keys, Brothers

This album is showing up in a lot of top albums of the year things. There is a reason for that. Mind control. Yup, that’s right, these guys rock so ridiculously hard that listening to them turns you into their mind slave puppet plaything. Now if you don’t mind I have to go buy 10 more copies and then make a solid gold monument to the almighty Dan Auerbach.

8. The National, High Violet

The National’s High Violet probably would have made it higher on my list except it followed their 2008, Boxer. Which is kinda like having to be the guy that follows Jesus in a magic show. Even if your name is Criss Angel (Mindfreak), you are pretty boned. Which is how I felt about this album. Still really amazing, just in the shadow of its predecessor. And yes I did just liken Criss Angel (Mindfreak) to the next messiah.

7. Hoodie Allen, Pep Rally

With a name like Hoodie Allen, you might think that this white rapper is just more sophomoric clichéd adolescent jibber-jabber. But you know what? Fuck you. This Mixtape/LP was incredible. If they gave a Grammy for best use of indie samples in rap songs I would totally bitch about how Lupe Fiasco’s use of Modest Mouse was bullcrap and Hoodie Allen should of won. Also the album was free for listening on them there internets. Like, legally.   

6. Kid Cudi, Man on the Moon II

As a college student am contractually obligated to love everything Kid Cudi does. I am pretty sure that was in my acceptance letter, along with something about using French politics to make myself feel special better never actually doing anything, and always talking about how great the show Community is. Good stuff Cudder.    

5. The Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

I don’t really care about all this post-post-indie hype about this album. Or the big band indie music versus the small band indie music argument. It is just always nice to have albums that can be listened to all the way through. Which this album has become for me, but it wasn’t that way at first though. When I first heard The Suburbs I was disappointed because I wanted a more mainstream sound and feel. But the more I listened to it the more I understood the subtly of its musicological reasoning. I felt like I was a jury member, and The Arcade Fire was Jack McCoy, and this album was his final speech at the end of an episode of Law and Order. Final verdict: One count of touching my ears in ways they haven’t ever been touched before, in the first degree.

4. Pretty Lights, Making Up a Changing Mind

Remember RJD2 like 10 years ago? Remember DJ Shadow like 10 years before that? Consider Pretty Lights the next in this branch on the linage of awesomeness. He is pretty clearly the grandson who has inherited all of the talent in the family and made all of his siblings jealous. Pretty Lights released three albums online for free. I think that Making Up a Changing Mind was the best, but honestly they were all great. You really can’t beat those trumpet samples. I’m looking at you “I can see it in your face.” 

3. Beach House, Teen Dreams

Hey lead singer of Beach House, I am not really ever sure what you are saying. But please, by all means, keep saying it. Also are you man or a woman? What’s that? Oh. You’re an angel you say? I guess that makes sense. What’s that now? You say that you have come here to deliver me from crappy indie albums that have one-hit wonders on them? And to break open the seventh seal, you say? God’s vengeance, you say? Neon Trees, you say? Oh, dear, dear, dear.




2. Macklemore, Everything he did this year

My oh my, it has been a good year for Macklemore. (See what I did there?) Pre-2010 I was a fan, but now I am a devote follower. I went from music equivalent of a casual catholic to the music equivalent of that lady in Jesus Camp. Macklemore is truth. His diversity of sound, excellent samples, use of instrumentals, all with great lyrics that have range and meaning. Bonus: He played baseball with Danny. Double Bonus: At all times more trumpet.


1. Childish Gambino, I Am Just a Rapper Mixtapes and Culdisac

He’s Donald Glover. The black guy on Community. He raps. And I hope to God this is the direction rap is headed. He did two mixtapes of rapping over indie songs I like. By far he is the most played new artist on my ipod. Listen to him. Seriously. I don’t have anything clever to say about it. Just listen to him. Everyone listen to him. Do it.




No comments: