Sunday, March 11, 2012

Some Music

Time I write something...

When I am driving around looking at houses and such I have music playing.  I have an iPod with lots and lots of music but there is a lot of it that I haven't really listened to.  Generally I listen to a playlist of my favorite songs which are all over the board but it can get a little stale after a while.  I usually don't like listening to albums because after 4 or 5 songs I am bored with it.  A week or so ago I decided to change my tune (clever huh?) and I started listening to full albums from beginning to end.  I thought this would be a good way to kind of rediscover some music and mix it up.  Here are the albums I have listened to over the last while with a very quick review, I will also add a link to a song I like from each album 

Air France - No Way Down: A pretty quick album of chill electro music.  I enjoy this album quite a bit.  It is for listening when the sun is out.

Release the Sunbird - Come Back to Us: I have no idea where this album came from and how it got on my iPod.  Great mellow music that you can just play and enjoy.

Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire: One of my favorite albums ever.  Just great stuff.

Polica - Give You the Ghost: This album just flows from one song to the next.  A little different but I really get into it, a lot of the songs have kind of a dub step bass line going on.

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight and The Winter of Mixed Drinks: I believe I heard about this band from Danny's little brother, James.  Scottish rock!  I could listen to The Winter of Mixed Drinks all the time...love it.

Beirut - The Rip Tide: This is some hipster stuff but lots of horns and other instruments.  Makes me think of Vampire Weekend a bit.

David Gray - Draw the Line: I don't listen to David Gray much anymore but this is an underrated album.  I was surprised with how much I like this album as a whole.  Lots of good songs.

Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys!: After a while this album got boring.  Overall I think it is just ok, some good ideas but it gets stale.  I do really like the song Lippy Kids though.  Oh hip British rock...you snag me with at least one song.

Fat Freddy's Drop - Dr.Boondigga and the Big BW: Some New Zealand jazz/reggae! This is just kind of fun music to zone out to.  Dallas Tamaira has one of the softest voices ever. 

Gnarles Barkley - The Odd Couple: Speaking of voices, Cee-Lo has pipes.  I love the blending of genres in this music.

The ILLZ - The Pursuit: This is one of my favorite rap albums.  I love the samples and the stories.  I found out about this guy on a blog when I downloaded his album because I liked the album cover.

The Roots - Undun: This may a lame thing to be happy about but for one The Roots made an album with a couple of 12 minutes songs with just random noises! It's the little things folks.  I really like this album.

Shawn Smith - Shield of Thorns: Shawn Smith has a pretty distinct voice that at times can be a bit too much.  With this album it works on every song.  Wrapped In My Memory is one of my favorite songs ever.

St.Germain - Tourist: Jazz/hip-hop/techno at times this makes me think I am inside a Abercrombie or Gap store but I like it.  Having John Lee Hooker in a song is pretty cool, but know what's not cool? Using that same song for a birth control commercial, boo.

The Whitest Boy Alive - Rules: Looking back on these albums I realize this is a bit of world tour...let's go to Norway! Great mellow rock that makes me want to put on a turtleneck.  I don't know why I said that, leave me alone! Go away!

John Mayer - Battle Studies: This dude is my guilty pleasure.  I like his music even though I think he is a douche.  Damn you Mayer!

Well there you go...those are the albums I have fully listened to over the last two weeks.  I have at times played just random stuff but nothing in full sequence like above.  Have a great week!

No comments: