Thursday, May 21, 2009

Topic! Sorry this is so 2000 and late.

Tri-Cities

Tanner:I feel my emotions toward this subject are best expressed in a song I wrote.  Please use your own copy of Seal's "Don't Cry" (because I know you all have one) and listen along in order to capture the true emotion.
 
The Tri (to the tune of Seal’s “Don’t Cry”)

 

Don’t be so hard on the Tri.

Just ‘cause the weather’s so dry.

And though there’s not much to see,

I hear it calling to me...
Tri-Cities.
O-ohh… Tri-Cities.
Please… Tri-Cities.
Tri-Cities.

When I was young,
And ate at taco trucks
I could eat so much,
Cause they only cost a couple of bucks.
And tumbleweeds,
They skipped along the field.
What's become of them?
When the wind picked up, they never seemed to yield…

The Tri!
You're not alone.
The Tri!
Tonight, my baby.
The Tri!
You'll always be loved.
The Tri!
That’s right.
Tri-Cities.

Today I dreamed,
Of the boat I had before.
And I feel so sad.
‘Cause I can’t take her out anymore.
My feelings hurt
But you know I overcome the pain.
With some substance use,
The memories suppressed in my brain.

The Tri!
You're not alone.
The Tri!
Tonight, my baby.
The Tri!
You'll always be loved.
The Tri!

Oh!

 

Hydroplanes…  asparagus,
It never rains,
Just clouds of dust… if you come with me,
You’ll come to see,
Sunsets red! 
Sunsets red.
I just said....
Sunsets red.

The boredom there, we entertained ourselves.
It is scary now,
To think of all the beer we stole from the shelves.
Drinking warm Bud Light,
Makes you feel like you’re a man!
Methamphetamine,
Take a sniff of it whenever you can.


The Tri.... you're not alone.
... Don’t be so hard on the Tri…
The Tri.... tonight my baby
... Just ‘cause the weather’s so dry...
The Tri.... you'll always be loved
... And though there’s not much to see...
The Tri... tonight, Tri-Cities
...I hear you calling to me.
The Tri... the Tri... the Tri... whoa the Tri...
Tri... The Tri...
Yes you’ll still be loved
The Tri.
The Tri tonight,
Ohh..
Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities,

No not Walla Walla…

Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cties
Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities,

Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities, Tri-Cities
Tri-Cities....
The Tri tonight…
You'll still be loved.


Danny:The thing that most stands out for me about the Tri-Cities is the food. Every year in high school, I traveled to the Tri-Cities for the WIAA State Cross Country Championship Meet. We stayed at a moderately shitty hotel in Richland, but it was okay because the hotel had HBO. The meet was always on Saturday, so on Friday we would go run the course and then go out for a big dinner. If you know anything about running, you know that you want to carbo-load on the night before a race, preferably by eating pasta. However, if you know anything about the Tri-Cities, you know that finding an Italian restaurant with high-school-cross-country-team-budget-cheap and decent pasta is a challenge, particularly if sixty-some-odd other cross country teams are looking for the same thing. And thus, we found ourselves, year after year, eating at that most prestigeous of eateries, Old Country Buffet. It wasn't really all that bad, except that we had to avoid all the really good stuff, because it was so greasy and fatty. So instead of delicious country-fried steak and macaroni and cheese (macaroni = good for pre-race meal, cheese = not so good), we got to eat the lumpy mashed potatoes, soggy vegetables and lots of free dinner rolls. And now, when I think about the Tri-Cities, I think about the only four times I've ever eaten at OCB. 

Stefan: The Tri-Cities region was formerly a single Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA); due to the U.S. Census Bureau's revised definitions of urban areas in the early 2000s, it is now a Combined Statistical Area (CSA).  As of the 2000 Census, the CSA had a population of 480,091 (though a July 1, 2007 estimate placed the population at 497,240).  The racial makeup of the Tri-Cities is 96.22% white, 2.12% african america and .92% latino or hispanic.  In 1999 the Tri-Cities were collectively designated an All-American city by the National Civic League.  The National Civic League gives the award out annually to ten cities in the US every year.  The Tri-Cities is a great place to raise a family.  It is a place with American traditions and God fearing people.  That pretty much sums up Tri-Cities, Tennessee.

5 comments:

Tanner said...

I was reading Stefan's post thinking, "497,000 people. What? What wikipedia entry in this? .92% Latino!? Where'd they get their information?!" Then I got to the Tennessee part and just wanted to punch Stefan in the face.

Danny said...

Tanner wins this topic.

Tanner said...

Thanks Danny. I raise my fists in triumph. I want to lay that track down in the lab now.

Lady Gaga said...

All three were well writen. I was not able to find a good youtube video of the don't cry instramentals, so i did not get the full effect.

Stefan said...

not gonna lie Tanner, that was kind of the effect I was going for with mine.