Monday, July 19, 2010

Probably not the best response



I guess some context is deserved.  I have copied and pasted this from goal.com


Following a goalless first half Concepcion took the lead through Vergara, who scored from long range on 64 minutes. Ten minutes later Rangers conceded a penalty and this is where all hell started to break loose.
Referee Marcelo Miranda called back the first penalty, which was successfully converted for encroachment. The second penalty was saved by the Rangers goalkeeper, but was then called back by the ref once more.
Clearly a little worried by the first two, Concepcion then changed their penalty taker and incredibly the third attempt was saved again. But again the ref ordered a retake before finally, on the fourth try, former Middlesbrough striker Hamilton Ricard scored to put the home side two up.
As one would imagine, the Rangers players were irate at this point and a bad tackle two minutes later saw at least half the team surround the referee with Paraguayan Jose Pedroso despairing of the officiating and strangling Marcelo Miranda.
Pedroso was subsequently sent off by a surprisingly calm referee and then had to be restrained by his team-mates before leaving the field. To add insult to injury Ricard scored again from a penalty to complete a 3-0 victory.
After the game Pedroso said: "I'm not sorry... I understand that I will be punished and I will no longer play for Rangers or any other team. I intend to get away from football, I'd rather be at peace with my family in Paraguay."

No comments: