Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tanner's Top Five Movies of 2010

I didn't see every movie I wanted to this year (I really want to see The Town and Greenberg) and I don't know if "The Two Escobars" counts as a film, but these are the best movies of the year according to me.

Pixar writes more character development into its plots than any other movie studio. I like computer animated movies as much as Stefan, but I really think Pixar is head and shoulders above the other animated movie makers. When a film can make a strawberry-scented teddy bear a simultaneously scary villain and tragic figure, I am compelled to say it is one of the best films of the year.


I like throwback football jerseys, throwback music, and now throwback action films. This was so fun. When office linebacker busted through a wall and killed 20+ people with a machine gun, I jumped out of my seat and started fist-pumping. Plus, Statham gives hope to all bald men. And Dolph. Lundgren. Rules.




Similar to what I said earlier about the Scandinavian music scene, the Swedish film scene seems to be blossoming as well. The second part of the “Dragon Tattoo” trilogy is a really fun ride with tons of plot twists, gun fights, car chases and lesbian love scenes. It’s so awesome, in fact, that David Fincher is directing the English version of the trilogy starring Daniel Craig, coming up next year. The best part of the sequel, however, is the transformation of Lisbeth (the titular character) from mysterious punker to full on badass. In short, this is the best action thriller since the Bourne movies.

NOTE: *The trailer is kinda cheesy because of the language barrier*



Galifianakis + Downey Jr = Hilarity. This was the funniest movie I saw all year, and it had everything you could want in a comedy: physical humor, crazy situations, memorable quotes, and great cameos. Two scenes in particular were tear inducing, one where Robert Downey Jr. punches a nine year old and another where Galifianakis masturbates in a car. That’s pretty much all I need to say about it.




While a little lacking in the plot department, Winter’s Bone is fantastic because of the way it draws you into the struggle of the American rural poor. Like a reverse Boyz N the Hood, this film is incredible at showing what life is like for the “outer-city” poor, and the story is simple yet captivating. Jennifer Lawrence’s performance is fantastic (you kind of forget how beautiful she is), and one of my favorite character actors, John Hawkes (Sol Starr from Deadwood) is brilliant. I don’t know if it is getting Oscar buzz, but it should be.




HM: Holy Rollers (Jewish Blow), Hot Tub Time Machine (shotgun to the dick)

1 comment:

NoLimitNelson said...

Due Date was surprisingly entertaining. Actually really loved it. Need to See: Toy Story and Inception