Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Here We Rest

Jason Isbell is a brilliant song writer and I was very sad when I heard he was leaving the Drive By Truckers.  Now that he has come out with a couple of albums I can say that I think it is alright that he left DBT.  I don't know if you could say that his music has matured but it has taken a different path than DBT. For the most part he is now playing the acoustic guitar as opposed to the screaming electric that DBT often does.  His songs are less about specific stories of the south but they still have that background and resonance.  Another difference between Jason Isbell and the last couple of DBT albums is that it sounds like Jason put more time into his music and tried different takes.  The last few DBT albums have been recorded in a week or two with mostly first takes, and that can be heard at times.  I appreciate the effort that Jason has put in this album.  With this album he has put aside some of his extraordinary guitar skills and has instead focused on his song writing and the overall presentation of the music.  Some of my favorite songs from this album...





No comments: