Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Golden Globes

It's award season (there are waaaay too many award shows) people. The only two award show that I remotely pay attention to, the Golden Globes and the Oscars. I'm sure it can be easily argued that they shouldn't be respected and that there are better awards to win but these two are the big ones on TV so they are the ones I watch. Here are my picks for the Globes (I fully understand that this post is going to start with great detail and then by the time I get to the end I won't care anymore and will post like one word or two).

Best film (drama)

I haven't actually seen any of these movies but I have heard good things about all of them.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire

I am going to pick a dark horse here, Slumdog Millionaire, I have heard great things about it but I wouldn't be surprise if Benjamin Button wins it.

Best film (musical or comedy)

Of these movies I have seen Burn After Reading and In Bruges.

Burn After Reading
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Mamma Mia
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

I hope that Burn After Reading wins this. The dialogue is great and all of the characters are awesome. I am pretty sure that John Malkovich says f*ck at least 300 times in the movie.



Best director

Once again I have not seen any of these movies so I'm pulling this one out of my butt.

Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)
Stephen Daldry (The Reader)
David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon)
Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road)

I'm gonna go withhhhhh....mmmm....David Fincher, 'cause he has a funny last name. I also liked his work in Fight Club.

Best actor (drama)

Great, another category where I haven't seen any of the movies.

Leonardo DiCaprio (Revolutionary Road)
Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
Sean Penn (Milk)
Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)

I'm going to say Sean Penn. How do I put this without sounding really mean or homophobic or non-pc or whatever? I don't know if I can so, whatever. Playing a gay guy in a movie is kind of like playing a retarded character. In no way am I saying that being gay is the same as being handicapped (unless you are a homosexual and retarded, come to think about it, I have never seen or heard of a retarded guy who likes other men) What I am saying is that both roles are ones that are instantly treated as, brave and courageous. I personally don't think that because you play a homosexual you are more courageous than any other character, it is just a character. You are just acting, that is your job. I wonder though if playing a homosexual is that same as playing a retard...never go full retard. This did backfire on Penn a while ago with I Am Sam.



Best actress (drama)

Haven't seen any of these

Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)
Angelina Jolie (Changeling)
Kristin Scott Thomas (I've Loved You So Long)
Meryl Streep (Doubt)
Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road)

I heard that the Golden Globes website accidently already had an * by Anne Hathaway's name for a couple of hours the other day meaning that she had won so I think she gets it.

Best actor (musical or comedy)

I've seen In Bruges and Pineapple Express.

Javier Bardem (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
Colin Farrell (In Bruges)
James Franco (Pineapple Express)
Brendan Gleeson (In Bruges)
Dustin Hoffman (Last Chance Harvey)

I have to be honest about In Bruges, it was a really good movie with great dialogue but I never though it would be nominated for anything. My pick...James Franco, that guy plays a funny stoner. He said that for this role he just acted like he was always looking in the wind.





This has nothing to do with James Franco but I loved this part of the movie.



Best actress (musical or comedy)

I've seen, Burn After Reading.

Rebecca Hall (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky)
Frances McDormand (Burn After Reading)
Meryl Streep (Mamma Mia)
Emma Thompson (Last Chance Harvey)

I should pick Frances McDormand because she is the only one that I have actually seen, but her character was a wee bit creepy. She was kind of like a female version of Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka. Same haircut, smile, and mannerisms. Now that I think about it, maybe that is what she was trying to do. Ok, she is my pick.

Best supporting actor

I have watched Tropic Thunder and The Dark Knight

Tom Cruise (Tropic Thunder)
Robert Downey Jr (Tropic Thunder)
Ralph Fiennes (The Duchess)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt)
Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

I think that Heath Ledger did a great job in The Dark Knight and I am pretty sure he will win but I am going to go with Robert Downey Jr. If you didn't know before hand that it was him you have had a hard time figuring it out and I think that he pretty much made the movie.

Best supporting actress

Haven't seen any of these

Amy Adams (Doubt)
Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
Viola Davis (Doubt)
Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler)
Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Marisa Tomei, she is about 44, still looks good and she plays a stripper in the Wrestler. I have also heard that she has some nude scenes in the movie, she gets my schwing! I mean vote.

Best foreign language film

Of course I haven't seen these.

The Baader Meinhof Complex
Gomorrah
I've Loved You So Long
Waltz with Bashir

I don't really care but mmm Gemorrah.

Best animated feature film

I have witnessed Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E

Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
Wall-E

Kung Fu Panda was really funny and had some moments that reminded me of the Lion King where even though its animated it can still have some touching moments. I am going to go with Wall-E though, the animation was amazing and an original story line.

Best screenplay

Haven't seen any.

Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire)
David Hare (The Reader)
Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon)
Eric Roth (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
John Patrick Shanley (Doubt)

I will do The Reader this time, why not?

Best original song

I haven't heard any of these songs.

Down to Earth (Wall-E)
Gran Torino (Gran Torino)
I Thought I Lost You (Bolt)
Once In A Lifetime (Cadillac Records)
The Wrestler (The Wrestler)

I will say The Wrestler, haven't heard it but its by Bruce Springsteen, enough said.

Best original score

Ugh this is a boring catagory

Alexandre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Clint Eastwood (Changeling)
James Newton Howard (Defiance)
AR Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire)
Hans Zimmer (Frost/Nixon)

Clint Eastwood, if he doesn't win he will punch everyone in the face, seriously, he is a badass.

TELEVISION CATEGORIES

Best series (drama)

Dexter
House
In Treatment
Mad Men
True Blood

I don't really watch any of these but I don't like House. With all of the hype that Mad Men has been getting I think that will win. Something for the ladies.

Best series (musical or comedy)

30 Rock
Californication
Entourage
The Office
Weeds

I like the Office a lot but I think that 30 Rock has been funnier as of late and more creative.



Best mini-series or film made for TV

Cranford
Bernard & Doris
John Adams
A Raisin in the Sun
Recount

John Adams is the only one I have seen and it was really good so that is my pick. I am very surprise that Generation Kill wasn't nominated. That was a great great mini-series. Just came out on DVD too. Go watch it, now, like right now. Then, thank me.

Best actor (drama)

Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment)
Michael C Hall (Dexter)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Hugh Laurie (House)
Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors)

I'm going with Jon Hamm, he was on the cover of GQ in December and has been getting tons of love from the media.

Best actor (musical or comedy)

Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Steve Carell (The Office)
Kevin Connolly (Entourage)
David Duchovny (Californication)
Tony Shalhoub (Monk)

Steve Carell is always nominated and I like his role but I think that Alec Baldwin is the funniest guy on television right now. As long as he isn't leaving screaming messages to his daughter, he is alright with me.

Best actor (mini-series or film made for TV)

Ralph Fiennes (Bernard and Doris)
Paul Giamatti (John Adams)
Kevin Spacey (Recount)
Kiefer Sutherland (24: Redemption)
Tom Wilkinson (Recount)

I have never really watched 24 but Kiefer Sutherland did and interview on NPR yesterday and he actually sounded intelligent. I didn't even realize it was him until the end of the interview. He gets my pick.

Best supporting actor (mini-series or film made for TV)

Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met your Mother)
Denis Leary (Recount)
Jeremy Piven (Entourage)
Blair Underwood (In Treatment)
Tom Wilkinson (John Adams)

I'm sure Piven will win this, he really is the only reason to watch Entourage, well also for the boobies, yay!!! I wouldn't mind seeing NPH winning it though.

Best actress (drama)

Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters)
Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: SVU)
January Jones (Mad Men)
Anna Paquin (True Blood)
Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)

Mariska Hargitay, I really don't care who wins, so long as it isn't Kyra Sedgwick, her character on The Closer is annnnoying.

Best actress (musical or comedy)

Christina Applegate (Samantha Who?)
America Ferrera (Ugly Betty)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Debra Messing (The Starter Wife)
Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds)

Tina Fey, she is funny and a great writer for that show. She is also so courageous for making it in the industry with that scar on her face. She is so brave.

Best actress (mini-series or film made for TV)

Judi Dench (Cranford)
Catherine Keener (An American Crime)
Laura Linney (John Adams)
Shirley MacLaine (Coco Chanel)
Susan Sarandon (Bernard and Doris)

Laura Linney did an excellent job in John Adams. I generally don't like early American TV shows but this one really was a good mini-series.

Best supporting actress (mini-series or film made for TV)

Eileen Atkins (Cranford)
Laura Dern (Recount)
Melissa George (In Treatment)
Rachel Griffiths (Brothers & Sisters)
Dianne Wiest (In Treatment)

No idea for this...Laura Dern. I don't even know who she is.

Well there are my picks, and like I predicted, my writing got less and less interesting as it went.

No comments: