Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Griffey!!

I see that Tanner has already posted about The Kid coming back to Seattle, but I thought I would also put my two cents in.

When I first saw a week ago that Jr. was going to come back to Seattle I was ecstatic. It was great watching him play when his career first started and now I would get to see his career end as a Mariner. This would certainly make me go to at a couple more games this coming season.

Then the news started coming in that Griffey was considering going to the Atlanta Braves.

Initially I was a little bit insulted that Griffey would play Seattle like that, but once again I took a step back and thought about the situation. For Griffey it would make sense to go to the Braves. Their training facility is 20 minutes from his house and this way he could easily see his daughter play high school basketball. The Braves would also be willing to let him play left field more full time than the Mariners. For the Mariners it would also be ok, yes you would lose out on a Seattle superstar, but this would give you the opportunity to develop more of your younger players and Griffey is not going to turn your sh*tty team into a contender. It probably would be better for the M's.

Now that Griffey has announced he is coming back to Seattle. I am happy...happy that it is finally over, but also happy that he is a Mariner. Jr. will be making between 2 and 4.5 million dollars, which really isn't that much and he will definitely put enough people in the stadium that the contract will be paid for. Pretty much every male between the age of 25 and 100 who lived in Seattle when Jr was a Mariner the first time will go to at least a couple of games to see him in an M's uniform. The Mariners, and MLB for that matter, need something good to happen and a reason to celebrate. The Mariners had one if not the most disappointing seasons ever last year. Griffey will help people remember what it was like when the Mariners were good. MLB is dealing with A-Rod confessing to using steroids, no surprise on my part, and their image is terrible. This is a good chance for MLB to hype Griffey coming back to Seattle and doing a sort of farewell tour. I hope that the Mariners have made it clear to him that he will mostly be playing DH as he cannot physically play in the outfield everyday. He will be doing some LF but he should mostly be in the DH spot. He is a seasoned veteran that can provide some leadership to a clubhouse that was very divided last year. As I said before, he is not going to make the M's a contender but he can still hit and should provide some HRs and some RBIs.

Griffey coming to the Mariners is mostly a reason to remember the good old days as opposed to actually becoming a winner again but I will take it, happily.

No comments: