Sunday, February 27, 2011

Winter's Bone and The Fighter

I have been watching a lot of movies lately.  Last night I watched Winter's Bone and today I watch The Fighter.  I am kind of tired of writing movie reviews so these will be a bit shorter.

Winter's Bone is amazingly depressing.  Just when you think it can't get any sadder they sucker punch in the gut and step up the depression even more.  Great acting all around.  I also very much enjoyed the large Deadwood cast reunion.  Winter's Bone is like a movie version of a Drive-By Truckers song.  Great story but terribly sad where everyone loses.

It is pretty hard to make a good boxing movie but The Fighter certainly accomplished that.  Christian Bale's performance was extremely impressive and certainly should be considered the favorite for best supporting actor.  I am a bit surprised that Mark Wahlberg hasn't gotten more attention for his work as he also did a great job.  The whole time I was waiting for everything to fall apart like in The Winter's Bone but surprisingly, and happily, there was some kind of a happy ending.

Winter's Bone and The Fighter, two really good movies.  Boom, I'm done.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

I actually think it is pretty hard to make a BAD boxing movie. What I thought sucked about "the Fighter" is that they never mentioned his fights against Arturro Gatti. That's pretty much what Micky Ward is famous for. Well, that and a Dropkick Murphys song.

Winter's Bone had kind of a happy ending I thought. I'm so stoked Sol from Deadwood is nominated for an Oscar.