Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The next topic


Cilantro

Tanner:  “May I have a delicious chicken torta please? Why thank you! Now, can you take a bar of soap and a cheese grater and go to town sprinkling flakes of Irish Spring all over the food I just paid $3.75 for and completely ruin it?” That’s how I feel when I get food with cilantro on it. It’s the devil’s herb. Many people think I am odd when I tell them that I despise cilantro. Often I get these responses: “But it’s so refreshing!” Yeah, so is Axe body wash, but I don’t want to put a bunch of that in my beef ball pho. “I think you just need to get used to it.” I think you need to get used to my fist in your mouth. Cilantro is terrible. I would rather eat out the rotten eye socket of a road-killed possum.  I would rather gargle dog diarrhea. I would rather floss my teeth with a wildebeest’s ass hair. Cilantro fucking sucks, it sucking fucks, and I don’t like it.

Danny:  Some people think that cilantro tastes good. Some people think that cilantro tastes like soap. Apparently it's thought to be genetic. I think cilantro tastes good. Tanner thinks that cilantro tastes like soap. However, Tanner's dislike of cilantro does give him the opportunity to work on his Spanish while talking to the cute woman who works at the taco truck. So all in all, I think we can all agree that cilantro is pretty good.

Stefan:   Cilantro (or Coriandrum sativum as we in the biz call it) is an herb that is excellent in many Mexican foods.  I enjoy it very much but it must be in moderation.  It is meant to be an addition to food, not the main stay.  Too much of it can ruin a meal.  A little bit of info about cilantro.  Cilantro’s nomenclature is somewhat confusing.  The entire plant and the seeds are properly named coriander, while the leaves alone are cilantro. Colloquially, the entire plant and leaves are referred to as cilantro and only the seeds as coriander.  Cilantro is also referred to as Chinese parsley.  Some things to know about cilantro, it grows in the ground.  It is a plant.  While it is in many Mexican foods it cannot speak Spanish.  Cilantro needs water to stay alive.  Water is wet.  When water gets very hot it will bubble or "boil".  Another fun tidbit about cilantro, it is green.

No comments: